Owner Biography

Princeton University

Nassau Hall at Princeton University
Nassau Hall at Princeton University
According to its website, chartered in 1746 as the College of New Jersey - the name by which it was known for 150 years - Princeton University was British North America's fourth college. Located in Elizabeth for one year and then in Newark for nine, the College of New Jersey moved to Princeton in 1756. It was housed in Nassau Hall, which was newly built on land donated by Nathaniel Fitz Randolph. Nassau Hall contained the entire College for nearly half a century. Nassau Hall was the meeting place of the Continental Congress in the spring and fall of 1783.

In 1896, when expanded program offerings brought the College university status, the College of New Jersey was officially renamed Princeton University in honor of its host community of Princeton. Four years later, in 1900, the Graduate School was established.

The so-called "Princeton Block" was donated in 1947 by the widow of Edgar Palmer, its owner until his death in 1943. It was never shown and Princeton decided to sell the block in 1976, ostensibly to acquire funds to properly display the remaining stamps in the university's collection. These other stamps have also never been shown.

Positions Owned

Copyright 2017. All rights reserved by Siegel Auction Galleries Inc. and Inverted Jenny.com. Information and images may be used with credit to Siegel/InvertedJenny.com subject to guidelines and restrictions.